Tuesday 8 March 2016

Baofeng UV5R battery eliminator

I use UV5R as base station radio. I did not want to kill my batteries with constant charging, changing the batteries and charging them every day simply does not make sense. Time has come to buy a battery eliminator. 
After the first try I noticed the heat coming from the back of the radio. I decided to open it to see what's going on inside.

It was shocking...


It is a hight-tec solution:)
A barefoot 7808, two caps and some hot glue. Real ham job by Baofeng.

There is a tiny piece of aluminium to get rid of the heat. 
7808 can give you 1.5A. It is not too efficient, minimum almost the half of the power running through it converts to heat... The radio can "eat" around an Amp. on transmit. 
Chinese engineers did not take it too serious... okay, it's so cheap...

I quickly changed this regulator to a switching one rated around 3A. Efficiency is around 98% which meets my requirements.

Here it is...



I also changed the power supply wire to a bit thicker one. 

The construction is not over sophisticated, hot glue holds the board as I needed. 

No heat, no noise, constant 8V. What else do I need?


2 comments:

  1. Can you post additional pictures and schematic of your "UV5R Battery Eliminator"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Sorry for the slow reaction... It is actually a switching step down converter. I bought the board on a local ham fest. It is available on ebay in several versions. IT is said to be able to handle 3A.
    That's all I can tell about it. I hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete