Wednesday 25 September 2019

An easy battery idea

Battery is an evergreen topic in QRP world. It should be cheap, light-weight and high capacity...

FT817 eats av. 1A/h. (SSB or CW mode) Hence 6Ah battery gives you 6A fun.
It is more than enough for a long walk.

I made a 6Ah 3s Li-Ion Battery pack using 6x18650 cells. Soldering is a bit tricky, but not a rocket science.
Isolation is done using hot-melt glue and some tape.

You can see the balancer connector and my standard PWR supply connector (XT60).

For more than a day one can build a bigger pack using 18650 cells.
I still use the internal NIMH battery of the radio. I keep it charged. In case of FMing with 0.5W it still gives one-two hours. It is also handy when I need to hunt for noise sources.

6x18650 ->6Ah 3S battery pack for Ft817 and others...

No comments:

Post a Comment