Thursday 19 September 2019

The good old beast is back

After saying good bye to my X5105 I wanted to buy some smaller, but multifunctional QRP rig I can take with me to my caminos. I was surprised about the prices the very next day. Buying a small trail rig costs as much as a used Ft817. Ghrrr... It does not make sense.
I had no chance to build radios in the flat I live, hence I had to pay for something from the market.
It is karma, or luck, who cares... a local guy appeared on a ham swap page with a 817. Price was perfect and decision was quickly made.

The parcel arrived and made me very happy. That radio was literally unused. As the owner said it was tried once. It was bloody true!

It is my 7th Ft817 in the last twenty years. Now it stays. I decided not to sell it in the future.

I quiclky put my grab and go pack together.


My grab and go pack... Ft 817, SDR stick, telescopic HF whip, cables, earplug and some tools.

It is a great fun to have a good old beast again. I made several contacts from the park nearby.
Some wire and a fishing pole was enough for many EU countries even in SSB.

Of course I will keep my good old uBITX transceiver, as it still works pretty fine. For long walks FT817 will come with me...



No comments:

Post a Comment